Image source: barandbench.com
The Karnataka High Court, on Friday, issued an order to the State government authorities, officers of local bodies, and police to ensure that only 'green crackers' affixed with logos of CSIR-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI), Petroleum Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO) and QR code are sold in the State.
As per the order passed by Anjum Parwez, Principal Secretary of the Revenue Department (Disaster Management), green crackers can be distinguished from the remaining through a green logo of the CSIR-NEERI (Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – National Environmental and Engineering Research Institute) and PESO (Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organisation) along with a QR code. “The QR code is a novel feature incorporated on firecrackers to avoid manufacture and sale of counterfeit products,” he said. The order also states that green crackers are available in different forms including sparklers, flowerpots, and maroons.
The court then proceeded to pass the following directions:
· We direct State Government, local authorities and Police to ensure strict interpretation of the Government orders dated November 6 and November 10, as clarified by order dated November 12.
· Officers of Local Authorities to ensure that green crackers bearing the specific requirements in the GO, (CSI_NEERI and PESO and QR code) only are sold.
· State to give immediate wide publicity through news channels, local channels, social media to warn members of the public not to buy crackers without the said specifications.
· Pollution Control Board (PCB) to ensure that decibel metres are available especially in bigger cities like Bangalore.
· It is the duty of Police and PCB to attend to all complaints raised by citizens on noise pollution